Saturday, May 16, 2009

Bite Me

Today, I bore witness to Enzo's first serious fit of rage. I gently picked him up off the floor and told him that I had to change his diaper. He arched his back, went stiff, screamed, grabbed a side of my face with each hand, leaned in and bit down on my jawline. Hard.

I was so shocked and in so much pain. Firmly, I say/yell "NO! We do not bite. That hurt mommy." Then I start crying. Seriously. I give him to Jeff and retreat to a mirror to see if he actually took out a chunk. No, just bleeding under the skin. Raspberry on my freaking face. Nice.

From the other room, I hear Jeff authoritatively but calmly say "Enzo, biting is NOT acceptable. I am putting you in your pack 'n play for a time-out. I am taking out all your toys, so you can think about what you did wrong."

Enzo sat there, staring bewildered at the polkadot sheet he sat on in his playpen and didn't make a peep. Jeff and I, on the other hand, burst out into quiet laughter at our first attempt at discipline. And our first time-out.

No comments: