Thursday, August 21, 2008

Rice cereal - already?!



My little boy is growing up way too fast. He was put on rice cereal today! Our new doc said that he's in the 90th percentile for weight (just like his mom, boo!) and that he should be getting his calories from multiple sources even though he's younger than normal for "solids." Uh, does that mean I have a fat kid? Or is my milk like special power food? With special nutritional compounds? For superheroes?

My mom had to do the honors and a.) buy his "first cereal", and b.) feed him his "first cereal." It was comedy to watch. Developmentally, he's only a 3 month old, so he knows not the business of a spoon and bowl. (The doc said no bottle, she wants him with the real deal spoon and bowl.) He gummed the spoon, sucked at it for a while, realized his mouth was full, and gulped. Blest! The next spoonful of very milky cereal ended up all over Mom. He exhaled and it shot out all over. She got to be the first to have cereal all over her, too.

No real answers for the continuing projectile spew and sudden/sharp/excruciating(?) abdominal pains he still gets. I did get schooled that the acid reflux meds prescribed to us by the old doc (which I refused because I read that the med was really strong) isn't even FDA approved for infants!! No wonder insurance wouldn't cover it. Can you call that mother's instinct?! Geez, I swear, you try to trust your docs to know what's best. Then, the med I decided to go with (Baby Zantac) wasn't even making a dent bc we were instructed to give him .1mL (how we even measured that, I'm not sure. It seemed like 1/16 of a teaspoon). The new doc said for it to even register, we need to be giving him .4-.7mL. Okay... I'll get right on that. So, that's what we'll do.

No comments: