Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Nanny Search



We are trying enannysource.com to search for a nanny. We became paid members and received the privilege of searching profiles of potential nannies. It's better than the newspaper. Or craigslist.org. Found lots who looked great, and found a few who returned calls or emails. Over the past few weeks, I've phoned screened a handful, met with a few in person and had our "finalist" care for Enzo for a few hours while I watched like a hawk. A nice hawk. A hawk's whose heart was breaking seeing someone else be so caring and gentle and attentive with him.

Being a working mom is going to be the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I just know it. Harder than the 32 hour labor. Harder than being 8 months pregnant with a broken ankle. Harder than climbing a 40' pole in the middle of the woods to prove to myself that I can conquer my fears. This is going to be the true test of my womanhood. My motherhood.

Since I was in charge of interviewing the candidates, Jeff's job was calling references. The surprise and shock of these moms he called when they realized that a DAD was hitting them with questions and scenarios and questions that required them to contemplate character and ability to handle emergencies! I proudly listened in on a muted phone. So lucky to have Jeff.

Criminal background check = complete. All clear.

So, Nancy the Nanny, she is. Very sweet, very in tuned to his needs. Already. That's a good sign, right? Unless he likes her better.

Come on, as if.

No comments: