Sunday, August 15, 2010

Marguerite

Today after Mass, a fairly amazing thing happened. We were lunching on the Corner Bakery patio, entertaining Gianna and being entertained by Enzo when a woman approached us. Since she had been observing our family for a while, I had my eye on her. She seemed a little nervous, like approaching strangers wasn't something she normally does. This is paraphrasing what she said next:

"I hope it's okay that I say what an incredible little boy you have here. I am a Christian, and God was telling me that I had to tell you that he is working in your family in ways that you sometimes can't see. Your little boy is very special and has been given many gifts."

I mean, for the past five months, people stop us and oodle and goodle over Gianna. Afterall, she's the cute baby. It was strange for someone to focus so much attention on Enzo, especially since all she could see was the back of Enzo's head for the duration of our brunch (and couldn't really see all the funny expressions he makes). I asked this woman her name, and told her that we were Christians, too. I told her Enzo had recently been having lots of nightmares and had grown increasingly anxious to attend nursery school at Church. She said her name was Marguerite (I would have died if she said ANGELa), and that she, too had been having nightmares as of late.

She asked if she could touch Enzo's arm and offer a blessing. Of course, I said.

So there we were, Jeff holding Enzo (who way spooked by good lady Marguerite), me holding Gianna, my mom, Marguerite and her quiet male companion -- all with hands laid on Enzo praying for him and thanking God for the special gift he is to us -- there in the midst of the Sunday morning rush of a coffee shop. We all hugged, and then she walked away just as nonchalant as she had approached us.

No comments: