Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A-loooooo-ha, Ko' Olina, Oahu, Hawaii


We had a wonderful vacation in Hawaii - and it was much anticipated and much needed. Two years ago at this time, Jeff and I were having our babymoon at the same location and now it was time to head to the islands as a family, celebrating our threesome. For some reason, I didn't have my camera at the ready to capture the 56 minutes that Enzo screamed at the top of his lungs on the flight over the Pacific Ocean. Perhaps I got overconfident, since this is how we started out the 5 1/2 hour flight.


Thanks be to God -- Enzo slept for about two unconsecutive hours, and only wanted Jeff to hold him.

I don't have a photo of the first excursion in Paradise. Costco, of course. It's tradition. So we finish our shopping and Jeff spots a new menu item on the food court menu board that he's never seen on the mainland. Teriyaki beef bake. He sends me to fetch one, while he waits in line with calm and happy Enzo. Standing in line on the other side of the store, I think to myself, almost unconciously "why won't that poor child stop screaming?" Finishing my transaction, I turn and expect to see Jeff finished with his little receipt in hand. Instead, I see him exactly where I left him, with one of Enzo's wrists in each of his hands, waving them frantically, mouthing something unintelligible to me. I wave back and fill up our soda.

As I approach them, I begin to realize something is terribly wrong. The stench. The fear in Jeff's eyes. The panic in Enzo's face. The stench. Oh, it's my child who's screaming. I see that Jeff is holding Enzo's wrists because if he lets go, what is covering Enzo's hands will end up even more so in his hair, on his shirt, on Jeff's shirt, in Jeff's face, etc. Of course, our diaper changing kit is in the rental car. Now, how do we get this child out of the shopping cart and into the restroom?! By lifting him by his wrists and dangling him all the way to the restrooms. Jeff took one for the team. I realized I couldn't leave the store to retrieve the diapers because we hadn't paid for our items and I wouldn't have been able to re-enter the store because I'm not the Costco member, Jeff is.

About 20 minutes later, Jeff and Enzo emerge from what I'm sure is carnage. There was a twinkle in Jeff's eye when he said "I made a paper towel diaper."

We settle outside with his beef bake and all our groceries. Jeff was traumatized. The passers-by who spent some time in the restroom as Jeff was in crisis looked with pity on us. Since all was under control, we left Enzo in the cart and took our first bite of lunch. And we hear what sounds like raindrops on a cardboard box. Oh right. Enzo just pee'd on our take and bake (later in the week) margharita pizza. Because he was still wearing a paper towel diaper.

We lost it. And all started cracking up.


Enzo's morning ride in the laundry basket.


Contemplating his future.



On a canoe ride at the Polynesian Cultural Center.


My preppy kiddo.


LOVE this BodyGlove wetsuit with a bullet-proof vest inside.


Diving off the Ko'Olina Cat -- a snorkeling catamaran. I think the only reason he was initially afraid was not because he was buoyant in the middle of the Pacific, but because his father decided to suit up with snorkel gear, looking like a scary sea monster.




A sunset wade.


Pupus, cocktails, and birdwatching - oceanfront.



Fun with buckets and shovels.


Splish splash.


"I'm gonna get chu!" A game of hide and seek and chase me, all rolled into one!
Probably the best vacation we've had... and definitely the best one we've had as a family! Mahalo Oahu!

No comments: