Saturday, September 6, 2008

I bit the dust again

As if being 7 months pregnant with a broken and level-3 sprained ankle wasn't bad enough, I had to top it with a spill at The Home Depot. Having a four-month old baby with a broken ankle might have sent me over the edge. Damn water puddles in the garden center. Why do they have slick cement there instead of some type of anti-slip grippy surface? I mean, it's Home Depot. They sell anti-skid surfaces!!!

After the trauma of nearly catapulting Enzo right out of his stroller as I gripped it to keep from face-planting, I started hyperventilating at the thought that the excruciating pain I felt in my ankle was all too familiar. How was I going to bounce him all over the house when he cries inconsolably? How was I going to carry him up and down the stairs? How was I going to be able to work?

After a brief stop at home to feed the babe - fearing the hours in the waiting room - and a call to the manager at Home Depot - we headed for the ER with rice cereal, acid reflux meds, diapers, blankets, etc. For Enzo, not for me. I called mom in for reinforcements and she dutifully arrived to care for him while Jeff jumped into caring supporter for me. The purple softball on the side of my ankle still did not look good.

A sprain, not a break. Thank God. Level 2 sprain at that. So good. All those weeks of physical therapy for nothing. Guess the ankle still isn't strong enough to respond to a slight slip. All those weeks of racing from USC to make my PT appointments, when merely getting up on the table with my enormous pregnant belly was the real workout. Guess I get to try to fit all that into my schedule again.

For now, it's rest, ice, elevation. Yeah, try keeping your ankle above your heart when you're breastfeeding... I'm not an acrobat!

No comments: